Monday, February 25, 2008

A Preacher for a Teacher

Yesterday at church, we had a very special event. We had Reverend Dr. France A. Davis from the Calvary Baptist Church come to our church, and he was the speaker at our combined Elder's Quorum/Relief Society today. He is a friend of the 1st counselor and his wife, and also good friends with President Thomas S. Monson.

Our Bishop told us the Sunday before about him coming, and said "I hope I don't get in trouble for this, but we're having a Baptist preacher come and speak to us next Sunday..."

It was cool to listen to a preacher in church fro the last hour, he's so different than what we are used-to. He's very energetic, outspoken, and such a good public speaker. We rarely ever get that level of enthusiasm is a speaker, which sad to say, is what I feel we need once in a while.

He spoke about Blacks and their Goodly Heritage. He quoted psalms 16:6 which says: "The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage." He based his entire talk off of that, and it was really interesting. He spoke about the Blacks, and their history, their stuggles, and what's going on now to get rid of any racism, and become completely equal. He said that there's still a ways to go for Blacks, before there's no more racism left.

I really enjoyed the speech. He is a very smart man, and has a million different credentials, and phd's, doctorates, and other masters degrees and more. I would love to be as smart as that man.

After his speech, he let us ask questions. some of the comments and questions people had were pretty good, but then there were those that were not good at all. Some people need to learn when it is not appropriate to say certain things. Here is this preacher who was nice enough to come and speak to us, and they have-to ask some weird questions. It's okay though, the preacher handled them pretty well.

The reverend invited us to go to his concert his church was having today, and after church, some of us went over there to check it out. Josh and his girlfriend, me, Wendy, and a few others went. It was definitely interesting. I really liked it. There was lots of singing, praising, and just loud worship. It was cool. It reminded me of Galveston, my home town down in Texas.

Overall, it was an experience I will never forget.



No comments: