Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My First Couch Surfing Experience

So, I've joined this website called couchsurfing.com. It's a website designed for travellers who want to stay for free when they travel, and a way for residents all over the globe to meet new people. It is a network of people that open up their homes for free to people who need a place to stay when they are outside their home towns.

So on Monday night, I had Ike stay with me. Ike is from Vermont, but he was travelling from Denver to Salt Lake via the Amtrak train. He was on his way to California, and needed a place to stay for a night before he went out onto the freeway and started hitchiking all the way to California.

He's a 19 year-old kid who, when he gets to California, will then eventually head up to Seattle to live on a boat off the Puget Sound with a couple of his friends.

I made him a sign that said "San Francisco" Monday night, and then Tuesday I dropped him off at Redwood Rd and I-80 where he started holding that sign and waiting for someone to pick him up. He called me at about 4:00pm, and let me know that he is on his way to California.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting concept - I had never heard of it until you told me about it! Sounds like fun though - quite an adventure!