Friday, January 11, 2008

Winter Camping Practice

I am an aspiring touring cyclist, and I'm just starting to get my feet wet.

Either in the Summer or Fall of this year I will be heading out on a very long adventure that will last a little over 3 months. I will be traveling accross most of the United States via bicycle. For this reason, I am trying to prepare now for it by learning how to camp.

I have rearranged my school schedule so that Mondays and Fridays I have no school or work. This means that some weekends I will be going on 4-day cycling trips where I will be camping along the way. I will most likely be going an average of 60 miles/day, over 200 miles each weekend. This should give me plenty of practice with the riding, and also the camping aspect of the bigger trip I will be taking later.

Camping last night was fun, I really enjoyed it. I wasn't really cold at all, I was actually quite warm. I had to take off my shoes and jacket when I got in my sleeping bag because I was starting to sweat. Now, I will actually get a good night sleep when my body learns to get used-to the harder surface I will be sleeping on.

This week I will be buying a few more supplies, so that possibly by next weekend I can take a 2-day trip out and back somewhere and get a little bit more practice with camping and cooking, etc. I think I'm going to sleep outside again tonite, so I will just leave the tent up for today.

Wish me luck in my preparations, pray that I don't freeze to death.



No comments: